Twitter icon
Facebook icon
Google icon

Frequently asked questions about Brexit

Brexit FAQ

Many of you are booking your holidays for 2019, and have some concerns or questions about how your travel plans might be affected after 29 March 2019 when the UK leaves the European Union (EU), so we have put together a guide for you below. 

Should I book my holiday after Brexit or before?

Arena Travel and The River Cruise Line are members of ABTA and is a fully bonded and licensed tour operator with air holidays protected by ATOL, so when you book with us you can have complete peace in mind.  Plus, with our price guarantee your holiday will not be sold for less and once booked your holiday price won’t change, so there is no benefit in booking late – the earlier you book the more choice you will have!  

Will I need a new passport?

You should check the date your passport expires. When travelling to the EU after 29 March 2019, the UK government recommends that you have six months left on your passport before it expires.  If you need to renew your passport, details can be found online https://www.gov.uk/renew-adult-passport/renew or you can go to a Post Office.

Will I need a visa to travel to the EU after Brexit?

The European Commission have proposed that the visa-free rules would apply even in the event of a no deal Brexit, providing the same is offered to European citizens visiting the UK.  If a deal is reached, then the current rules won’t change until the end of the transition period in December 2020.

Will flights still operate?

Yes, it has been announced by the European Commission that even in a no-deal scenario that UK airlines will still be able to operate flights between the UK and the EU.  If a deal is agreed then everything will stay the same until the end of December 2020 and flights will continue as normal.

Can I still use my European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)?

In the event of a no-deal Brexit, UK registered EHICs will no longer be valid.  In the event of a deal, then nothing will change until the end of the transition period.  Either way, we always recommend taking out holiday insurance, which provides all of the cover you need. 

Further advice about Brexit and travel can also be found on ABTA’s website on https://www.abta.com/tips-and-advice/brexit-advice-for-travellers

View more articles